Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Week 56!!!

Hi, Mom. Hope everything's going well up there in Idaho, now that it's starting a little colder. I still don't understand how the people here say that they have Invierno (Winter) here, but instead of getting colder, it gets hotter. Instead of it snowing, it rains. My favorite part, however, would probably have to be the Cricket Swarms around "Winter Time", here in my mission. I'm not talking about a hundred or so, either. I'm talking about HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of crickets swarming the streets, and sliding through the cracks in your windows to get inside your house. If there's any insect more annoying to find in your house than cockroaches, it's crickets. They stick to your clothes, jump in your face, and don't even get me started on their so-called singing at night. Anyway, things having been going a little more smooth lately, to my surprise. We've got a few baptismal dates that have shocking followed through with our inviting them to come to Church. My one and only fear is that they fall off afterwards, due to the lack of the 3 Fundamentals, as mentioned by President Gordon B. Hinckley, which are Friends, an Assignment/Calling, and Spiritual Nourishment (through Home/Visiting Teachers and Frequent Complete Attendance). I've noticed that that's been one of the main problems with wards down here is the lack of Home and Visiting Teachers completing their visits. Perhaps, that is why my home ward (Sundance Ward, shoutouts) didn't have any assigned missionaries for a while is from all the quote-unquote "success" in Hastening the Work, and just reaching out to those who need it. That being said, my buddy here in Empalme, Elder Scribner (from Orem, Utah), says that we're going to be "drowning ourselves" this upcoming month of November. The reason he says that is because the both of our sectors, Empalme 1 (his) and Empalme 2 (mine) have a lot of potential baptismal dates already going quite smoothly for November. Even though I'm a fair amount on the realistic side when it comes to the goals we set, I have a fair bit of faith that these souls will indeed come through and receive the salvation they need. Not only that, but I believe that they're starting to see - through us and the personal experiences that we share with them - how they can bless the lives of those around them, in addition to their own lives. With time, we promise them that they will be able to more frequently notice the little miracles and blessings that God has for them through the sincere desires that reside in their hearts to do what's right. It's funny, Elder Wilson and I were listening to a talk by Elder Holland this past week, and in it, he states: "Why can't the only risk in the Mission Field be out of Pneumonia? Just being soaking wet all day and all night in the Baptismal Font?" Well, Elder Holland, the chances of us "getting Pneumonia" here have just got more probable, hahahaha! I can't wait to see how this upcoming month turns out, and I'll be sure to send all you guys reading the blog as many pictures as I can humanly send for you all to see. But until then, keep praying, Choose the Right, remember who you are, and what each of us (as sons and daughters of God, not just Mormons) stand for. I love you guys!!! Take care!!!

Con Sinceridad y Amor,
Elder Conner Duane "Poderoso" Parke

PS: Before I forget, be sure to let Dad know that their indeed is Western Union down here. Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment